The almost two-month burn ban enforced in 52 Mississippi counties, including Attala County, has been lifted, according to a press release from the Mississippi Forestry Commission last week.
Gov. Phil Bryant on Friday issued a proclamation to lift the partial state-level burn ban, which went into effect on Oct. 11, after significant rainfall occurred over the weekend. Attala County received over 3.5 inches of rain Saturday through Tuesday morning.
But, as of Tuesday, 13 counties -- Calhoun, Claiborne, Franklin, Hinds, Jefferson, Jefferson Davis, Kemper, Lafayette, Lawrence, Lee, Monroe, Sharkey and Stone -- will remain under burn bans initiated independently by county boards of supervisors.
The MFC requested the burn ban in October because of the increase in wildfire occurrences, elevated drought conditions, dry vegetation, and the forecasted weather patterns. The Attala County Board of Supervisors issued a ban a week before the governor’s proclamation.
MFC Wildland Firefighters have suppressed 1,166 wildfires that burned 10,943 acres in Mississippi since the beginning of September, said State Forester Charlie Morgan in the release.
The release says, despite the rainfall, residents should continue to take caution when burning outdoors and check weather forecasts before doing so.